Renew Your PTIN Now for 2021
PTIN applications and renewals for 2021 are now being processed. Preparers must renew or register for their PTIN by December 31.
Anyone who prepares or assists in preparing federal tax returns for compensation must have a valid 2021 PTIN before preparing returns. Enrolled Agents are also required to have a valid PTIN. The fee for applying or renewing 2021 PTINs is $35.95.
According to the PTIN Renewal Checklist, here's what you'll need for your renewal application:
• Personal information (name, mailing address);
• Business information (name, mailing address);
• Explanations for felony convictions (if any);
• Explanations for problems with your U.S. individual or business tax obligations (if any);
• Credit/Debit/ATM card for the $35.95 PTIN user fee. The user fee is non-refundable; and
• Any U.S.-based professional certification information (CPA, attorney, Enrolled Agent, enrolled retirement plan agent, enrolled actuary, certified acceptance agent, or state license) including certification number, jurisdiction of issuance, and expiration date.
Remember that most PTIN correspondence is delivered through secure online messaging in your PTIN account, so be sure to use your most up-to-date email address when obtaining your PTIN.